Re: dx-m-indicator-sound feedback

On 14 May 2010 19:19, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I was listening to the dx-m-indicator-sound session at UDS-M. I'm really
> looking forward to the work on this now! (Although I couldn't find the
> Gobby document). Kudos for using existing specifications (eg: MPRIS) for
> all of this! It goes a long way.

Standards are awesome. Use them.

> Has some decision been reached on how the master volume should work with
> multiple devices attached?
>

> For what it's worth, here's my opinion on where things should be:
>
>      * One device typically corresponds to a set of speakers. Each
>        device will have a different story for how loud 85% volume is.
>        85% means nothing in the context of “all audio devices”.
>      * By default, one audio stream should only be on one device at any
>        given time, though this can be changed.
>      * VOIP playing on a headset while music keeps going on main
>        speakers is NOT a corner case. That is functionality which could
>        be automated some day, so it doesn't necessarily require a
>        technically-minded user.
>
> …So, I think a technical solution that gives us a "true" master volume
> control, though possibly quite clever, could be pretty harmful. I think
> we can trust users, when they hear something, to know what device it is
> coming from and expect to control it. The sound indicator can build on
> that expectation by having a separate slider for each sound device.
> (Usually just one).
>
> Scrolling on the indicator itself could control all the sinks in a
> relative sense, just as a handy shortcut. I don't think that should have
> a dedicated UI beyond the scroll wheel stuff, since there is no real
> number for the volume of all streams; it's just an adjustment relative
> to each one's current state.
> The Mute All menu item should continue to mute every single audio
> device.
>

> Take care,
> Dylan

Giving each used/connected output (actual speakers) its own master
slider seems the best solution to me. I'm -- with 'me' being a yet
uneducated usability-noob --  really in favour of doing that; as long
as it is clear what slider belongs to what device.

Leaves the case of the scroll wheel. I think the scroll wheel should
affect all master sliders equally. Most people only have one slider,
and you expect to be able to quickly lower the volume in general using
your scroll wheel. If you want more fine-grained settings you really
should use the sliders instead.

Cheers,
--
Sense Hofstede