Re: Windicators

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Sense Hofstede <qense@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 May 2010 14:31, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 16/05/10 08:17, Akshat Jain wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:

> >> You minimise them too. They are specifically status associated with that
> >> window - so you won't miss them.
> >>
> > But wouldn't it be better that that the windicators show up in the window
> > list?
> > So I won't have to open a minimized window to just see the
> windicators.like
> > I have an Image in my mind with with Compiz Live Preview like popups with
> > Windicators instead of Window Previews.
> >
> > Interesting... yes, one could put a rendition of the Windicators on the
> > windows in the Alt-TAB preview. Cool idea.
> >
> > David, could you make a note of that, please, in your window management
> > file?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> Making it (slightly) easier to access the windicators would provide
> the application developers with a more suitable place to provide quick
> access to application functionality. This would mean less developers
> want to put their application in the notification area; so the right
> top of the screen should be a bit less cluttered.

I hate the Minimize to Tray concept.One who invented this should be forced
to watch BSoDs for 10 days continiously while tied to a chair and eyes
forced to open.It is so much irritating and cluttered.

It is a good thing to make less applications use Application
> Indicators; they should be used to notify the users or give them
> access to things that don't have their own open window, like Network
> Manager. There are currently a lot of applications that have an
> Application Indicator, but don't really use it properly. Those
> applications could be using windocators instead when they would be
> easily accessible.

Agreed

> Leaves the question where to minimise applications to if you can't put
> them in the tray anymore (which is a good thing, I've always found it
> a very unintuitive place to hide applications). I think we could do
> with providing nothing extra: the most important reason for providing
> something as horrendous as 'minimise to tray' is because applications
> take a lot of place in the currently used window list panel applet.

However, the Unity dock doesn't have this problem as the icons are
> smaller, and most of them are already there. For most applications
> keeping them running unhidden would only mean an extra triangle at the
> dock next to an icon.

I think there can be an Application-Stasher applet(kind of like a drawer but
horizontal) where Applications can be minimized *if I wan't them to* because
I don't see the utility of Minimize to Tray for other than application
minimizing since notifications are handled by Notify-OSD and (soon)
Windicators.Not needed on Unity but needed on Desktop.

Mark I think since there is no window list in Unity.We can can make the the
Background Turn Red and blink for a few seconds and when the user hovers
over it voila,a minimal menu with icons of Windicators whick expand on click
and provide information

--
I am 13 year old and make a lot of typos.
I am a non-native english speaker.