Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On 15 March 2010 21:45, Akshay Gupta <kitallis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey, all.
> I posted a GSoC project Idea on the ubuntu-soc list yesterday and I thought
> it'd be more appropriate if I run it down by developers in the Ayatana list.
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-soc/2010-March/000047.html
> Some of the things that this project could help solve :
> 1.) Make the OSD customizable
>      * setting up persistence time
>      * UI modifications over a basic structure
>      * Font size/style
>      ...other similar stuff we can decide upon.
> 2.) Most of the above things would be customized by an OSD Manager that
> could handle all those by a native GTK+ application.
> 3.) Implementing unresolved work in the Design Specs.
> A few design features that I have in mind (possibly conflicting from the
> specs in the wiki) :
> 1.) Stacking, that'd make the bubbles dock downwards as they are initiated
> and start to stack up as the bubble times finish away.
> 2.) A close button on the corner of the bubble as soon as a mouseover occurs
> (like Growl, instead of disappearing away)
> 3.) Some other ideas?

How about the bubbles being more interactive. For example, the most
common use of these bubbles is associated with the media players. But
I find the need to be able to skip or pause songs when they are
playing on shuffle. So, having play/pause, next, previous options on
the bubbles would make it more useful.