Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On 15/03/10 16:15, Akshay Gupta wrote:
> 1.) Make the OSD customizable
>      * setting up persistence time
>      * UI modifications over a basic structure
>      * Font size/style
>      ...other similar stuff we can decide upon.
OK

> 2.) Most of the above things would be customized by an OSD Manager
> that could handle all those by a native GTK+ application.
> 3.) Implementing unresolved work in the Design Specs.
>
> A few design features that I have in mind (possibly conflicting from
> the specs in the wiki) :
>
> 1.) Stacking, that'd make the bubbles dock downwards as they are
> initiated and start to stack up as the bubble times finish away.

Please, no. I would urge Mirco NOT to take patches that introduce that
sort of behaviour. We are trying to build clean and tested codebases,
and the more alternative pathways we support, the less maintainable it
becomes.

The design experience of Notify-OSD is what it is. Changing the style is
one thing, changing the behaviour of the bubbles is another thing
entirely. We are just NOT going to support simultaneous display, the
design is queued and serialized.

> 2.) A close button on the corner of the bubble as soon as a mouseover
> occurs (like Growl, instead of disappearing away)

Same. The design of Notify-OSD is specifically not clickable, and we
would NOT accept patches to change that.

Mark