Re: No "application bucket" needed

On 17 May 2010 10:52, David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <cringe>
>
> If you are designing an interface, and suddenly you believe you need
> to add a "bucket", this is a good sign that your initial design failed
> somewhere. I would encourage you to "shelve the bucket" and revisit
> your earlier assumptions. Shake things up a bit and ask yourself "what
> could I do differently so that I don't need a 'bucket'?" Challenge
> yourself to make a fundamental change to your design so the bucket
> isn't needed.

As I mentioned in another thread, the *bucket* would just be
duplicating the window switcher, just like minimizing to tray does.
Which are plasters over the fact that the window-switcher applet just
doesn't deal well with many windows - so minimize to tray exists to
free up space. Unity is on the right track with its dock, but is
obviously tailored to netbooks, we could really do with something
similar for the desktop (*cough* dockbarx *cough*) :)

Anyway, ideally we'd have one place to look for application windows,
at the moment we have two (window-switcher and notification
area/indicator applet), potentially several if you factor in
workspaces*.

Luke.

*P.S. I'd love it if whatever window-switcher replacement grouped
windows by workspace, I'd then actually use them.