Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

Am Montag, den 15.03.2010, 21:45 +0530 schrieb Akshay Gupta:

> I posted a GSoC project Idea on the ubuntu-soc list yesterday and I
> thought it'd be more appropriate if I run it down by developers in the
> Ayatana list.
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-soc/2010-March/000047.html
>

> Some of the things that this project could help solve :
>

> 1.) Make the OSD customizable
>      * setting up persistence time

I'd rather finish the time-out specs, than work around it like this.

>      * UI modifications over a basic structure

Not sure what you mean by this?

>      * Font size/style

	You can change the font-size/-style already. notify-osd picks up the
font from your system-wide settings.

>      ...other similar stuff we can decide upon.
> 2.) Most of the above things would be customized by an OSD Manager
> that could handle all those by a native GTK+ application.

	I would not suggest that. Great care has been taken to avoid the need
for a preferences UI for notifications. Completing the implementation
would be of greater benefit, than taking this "shortcut" of a
settings-UI. With these kind of UIs we get into the realm of
"undiscoverability" again. We try to move away from this, not towards
it.

> 3.) Implementing unresolved work in the Design Specs.

	I could help with that, e.g. the "growing timer" needed for getting all
the time-outs stated in the spec could be used finally. I've implemented
it already, but it still needs to be hooked up.

	Furthermore the expanding bubble for the "append"-case could be
revisited. The needed animation-framework is in place. Numerous (unit-)
test-programs of notify-osd trunk already demonstrate these features.

	There are some low-hanging fruits within the scope of "fulfilling the
spec".

> 1.) Stacking, that'd make the bubbles dock downwards as they are
> initiated and start to stack up as the bubble times finish away.

> 2.) A close button on the corner of the bubble as soon as a mouseover
> occurs (like Growl, instead of disappearing away)

	These two above mentioned items I'd rather see implemented in a "fork"
than in notify-osd trunk itself.

	The reasons for notify-osd not exposing these kind of behaviours have
been discussed to great lengths in the past on this list. I don't want
to see this discussion reignite again.

Best regards ...

Mirco