Re: Getting rid of Evolution?

"Martin Owens" <doctormo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Of course if we do go about replacing Evolution, it's going to be an
>awful lot of work. I know of people who would like to replace the
>backend with couchdb, perhaps that's a place to start. I'd also mention
>KDE's Akonadi services but they suffer much the same problems IMO.

Although Akonadi was developed by KDE, it doessn't have any KDE dependencies and is intended for cross DE use. There is a prototype couchdb backend. In the Maverick cycle KDE will finish transitioning mail data to Akonadi.

If you want to develop new and better ways for users to experience mail, contacts, calendaring, etc. then I think a good first step is a well designed data store optimized for this kind of data in an application independent manner.

Akonadi might not be a bad place to start.

Scott K