Re: No "application bucket" needed

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM, David Hamm <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Don't
> I simply meant that there shouldn't be a quit and a close option,
> there should only be one.
>
> Applications should quit themselves - good stuff - long way to go...
> -With Rhythmbox as the example, remove the minimize button, and only
> have X. close sends to tray, pause music>timeout>app saves and closes.
> Open or Play icon starts it back up.

Don't forget that network state may have changed since Rhythmbox timed
out and closed (I paused at home while streaming from the web now open
on the bus to play an mp3).

Self managing app lifetime is a really cool idea, but difficult to get
right 100%. Also I may want to close Gimp with bunches of large images
to free up resources rather than having a half dozen smaller apps
terminate so I can launch something else. But perhaps that is an
advanced user scenario. Maybe a "choose the app to kill" dialog option
would be handy (or maybe for advanced users just a kill applet to
signal apps they should go away now.

On my AT&T Android (running older v 1.5) the help recommends
"rebooting" daily to clean up tasks and manage battery life /
performance. Sounds like they have done quite a lot of work to improve
this but I still think there is utility in allowing users to close an
app.