Re: memenu and appmenu

On 21/05/10 09:38, guido iodice wrote:
> 1. If I want launch Empathy or Evolution, I can click on its icon in
> the message menu. But other application are in the standard GNOME
> application menu. So its a bit difficult for the user to understand
> why some applications are in a place and other application are in
> another place. But this is the minor issue and I can understand that
> the difference is because some applications are communication software
> (chat, social, mail, etc).

In Unity, we won't put Empathy in the launcher initially. We'll just
have the messaging menu, where you would launch it. But if you want it
in the launcher, you can put it there yourself. So the initial position
is not inconsistent - it only becomes slightly inconsistent if the user
wants to have direct access to Empathy in the launcher.

> 2. If I want open Empathy because I received a message, I must click
> on message menu. But if I want go offline, I must use the me menu. So
> we have two places to control the same program. Often I click on
> message menu searching a button to 'turn off' Empathy after I received
> some messages in that menu. But the switch is in another menu, far
> from it.

Yes, this is an interesting situation. We're aware of it, and open to
ideas and suggestions for how to resolve it. The current plan is to let
the Me Menu mature a little further (giving you more control over the
presence of multiple applications) and the Messaging Menu bake a bit
(fixing bugs and growing the number of apps that use it). Then we'll
consider shaking it up.

Mark