Re: memenu and appmenu

2010/5/21 Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>

> In Unity, we won't put Empathy in the launcher initially. We'll just
> have the messaging menu, where you would launch it. But if you want it
> in the launcher, you can put it there yourself. So the initial position
> is not inconsistent - it only becomes slightly inconsistent if the user
> wants to have direct access to Empathy in the launcher.

Thank you Mark. But the issue is that there are multiple places to launch
programs, in general, because some programs are in messaging menu and others
are in the the GNOME Application menu (I'm talking about GNOME, not Unity,
but issue is similar).

But this is a minor issue.
I know there is a reason: communication software are in messaging menu
because its function.
This is logical, even if to have two menus to launch programs (in general)
is slightly strange and user may not understand why.

>  Yes, this is an interesting situation. We're aware of it, and open to
> ideas and suggestions for how to resolve it. The current plan is to let
> the Me Menu mature a little further (giving you more control over the
> presence of multiple applications) and the Messaging Menu bake a bit
> (fixing bugs and growing the number of apps that use it). Then we'll
> consider shaking it up.
>
> Mark

Well, thank you.

Alex Launi wrote:

Maybe the two should be adjacent in the panel, so although they are two
> indicators, it's very easy to get from one to the other, and they appear
> more related.

This is a good idea.
Part of the discomfort is the presence of calendar between the two menu.
There is indicator-full applet that can help to solve.