Re: Papercuts in Maverick

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 14:36 +0200, Sense Hofstede wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The UDS hangover should be completely gone now and we all probably
> can't wait to start working (even harder)!
> I've got a couple of thing with regard the papercuts project I would
> like to ask.
>
> Vish has already done some serious triaging for the papercuts project
> and I've done a few as well, but there are still 50 new bugs -- the
> number was reasonably constant the last few weeks -- and there are 282
> open bugs.
>
> Some of the new bugs are quit old already; the oldest we have is bug
> <https://launchpad.net/bugs/25977>, which was originally reported in
> November 2005. This bug report is a request to add a shortcut to the
> trash bin to the Places menu you can find in the top left corner of
> the screen. This is something that needs to be looked into by the
> design team as there are different opinions regarding the use of the
> proposed change.
> Sometimes there are more papercuts that could benefit from feedback
> from the design, desktop or dx teams. Would it be worth the trouble to
> come up with some kind of structure to make it easier to request
> feedback? Or are there enough design people looking at Ayatana bugs?
> A solution could be to subscribe the Ayatana Discussion group to those
> bugs so the mailing list would get a mail and the people on the
> mailing list could join the discussion.

This would generate parallel discussion via bug comment mails and
mailing list comments and would eventually be confusing.
Ayatana mailing list already generates nearly ~30 mails a day , and this
is way too much considering the quality of the actual discussion! ;)

What we have done in the past is , bring attention to certain bugs by
forwarding to the ayatana list. [like how you have mentioned the above
bug report]. For such questionable bugs  , we can just mention the bug
here and discuss away.

> When will the first round of Maverick papercuts be started? If we'd
> follow the same schedule we have for Lucid I think we should start in
> the begin of June. However, we do have a bit less time now apparently
> we are going for a release at 10-10-10.
>
> During the UDS session we briefly discussed whether we should or
> shouldn't raise the number of papercuts to handle per release. We
> didn't come to a final decision, so here I ask again: do we want to
> stick with 100, do we want to try to get 150, or will we go for 7 or 5
> per week?

We decided on 100.
Anything higher will depend on Jorge Castro and getting the bug jams
involved.
Not sure when the next bug jam would be though.

For the jams, the target would be the milestoned bugs and the other
"triaged" papercut bugs.

> I'm afraid 5 a week would be a bit too much, but we should raise the
> goal. We can achieve 150 if we want, we just need to make sure the
> papercuts project gets the right PR and people know where to find the
> milestones. Also, forwarding upstream helps a lot.

Yes , we need PR and once we setup the milestones, we should see more of
that , and this round we want to encourage the folks who fixed the bugs
to blog about it too.

> In the session the positive effects of endorsement by the design team
> were also mentioned. Would it be good to mention it in an upstream
> report if the bug report has been selected as one of the 'official'
> 100/150 papercuts?

Yes , we have been doing this in the past as well,there have been
several bugs which were stuck for years but fixed once upstream has seen
a bug accepted as a papercut and decision made as to how the fix should
be.

--
Cheers,
Vish