Re: Encrypted DVD issues

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 18:30 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Shane Fagan wrote on 25/05/10 15:28:
> > I noticed that when I double click a DVD movie on the desktop it opens
> > the folder in nautilus. Can we open it in totem instead? It seems like
> > slightly bad behaviour to add an extra click there.
> >
> > Also can we improve the installing of DVD playback? At the moment the
> > user has to find and run the libdvdread4 sh file to get it working and
> > that seems a little difficult to new users. Could we run that script
> > when the user tries to play a DVD that contains encrypted content? Or
> > could we have the fluendo DVD player in the software center and point
> > them to that? It just seems like this is an area we can really improve
> > on.
>
> Absolutely, this is something we can and should fix in Maverick. We plan
> to be selling one or two bits of commercial software in 10.10, and for
> well-known legal reasons, DVD playback is likely to be one of those.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to start a wiki page about this (linked from
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareHandling>), with a storyboard
> <http://boxesandarrows.com/view/comics-not-just-for> or text description
> of what you think should happen? The starting point would be something
> like "Lauren inserts a DVD for the first time"
> <http://twitter.com/LaurenVanB/status/13624104456>, and the end point
> would be "the DVD starts playing".

Ok so ive done up a quick page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareHandling/DVD_Playback   (mpt you may
want to move it because it does have the double click on the desktop
stuff which isnt related to the software center)
It has no cartoons (because /me doesnt have the drawing talent to do
more than little scratch drawings) but it gets the point across and I
think ive got the use cases fine.

--fagan