Re: Encrypted DVD issues

Shane Fagan wrote on 25/05/10 19:02:

> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 18:30 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> Perhaps you'd like to start a wiki page about this (linked from
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareHandling>), with a storyboard
>> <http://boxesandarrows.com/view/comics-not-just-for> or text
>> description of what you think should happen? The starting point would
>> be something like "Lauren inserts a DVD for the first time"
>> <http://twitter.com/LaurenVanB/status/13624104456>, and the end point
>> would be "the DVD starts playing".
>
> Ok so ive done up a quick page
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareHandling/DVD_Playback

That's a good start, thank you.

Now we need to start filling in the details. What should happen while
the DVD is spinning up? In what window should the invitation to get
DVD-playing software appear? (The player window itself, or a separate
alert?) What might that invitation say, as a first draft? What should
appear if you choose to install or buy the software? (For example,
should a transaction that didn't start in Ubuntu Software Center move
there, or should it stay in its own window?) What should the state of
the movie player window be during the installation process? Where should
installation progress be shown? What should happen once installation is
finished? (For example, should the window where the purchase happened be
closed to reveal the movie, or stay open to confirm the purchase?) At
each step, what should happen to the movie player if you cancel?

>                                                        (mpt you may
> want to move it because it does have the double click on the desktop
> stuff which isnt related to the software center)

That's fine.

> It has no cartoons (because /me doesnt have the drawing talent to do
> more than little scratch drawings)

Scratch drawings are also good. (They work for XKCD...)

>                                    but it gets the point across and I
> think ive got the use cases fine.

These are really variations, or branches, of a single use case. Once the
description gets more detailed, we'll probably need to track the
variations in a more structured way, showing where they branch from and
where they return to.

- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/