Re: Updating UI issues

Would you somehow make the changelogs viewable if using software center to perform updates?

Not a big deal because that could still be done in Synaptic, just a thought.

--- On Wed, 5/26/10, Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Updating UI issues
To: "Shane Fagan" <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ayatana" <ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 10:32 PM

Hi Shane, thanks for your great idea!
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 15:30, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a bone to pick with the update system in Ubuntu. It hasnt changed

since I started using Ubuntu (Gutsy).

except for some minor bugs and the popup thing, yeah.

For one I dont think we should get asked our password to check for

updates. (Thats a big one for me).
+1yeah, it will still ask for the password upon updating, i think that would only be nearly relevant, if it is the first update after a fresh install, or the first sync, since that one is data-intensive and might consume too many MB on a pay-by-MB mobile broadband connection.

The second thing is can we put the updates in the software center

instead?

thank you.

 I know its complex to implement but having a separate program
with only 3 buttons is a waste.
i would prefer a synthesis of these statements:Put updates into the software center, turn the popup window into an even simpler smaller alert window with brief information and unambiguous interactivity:

There are 46 updates available, among those 12 security updates; 24.3 MB to be fetched, should i update?[yes, update now]  [no, check again later]

in general, colors should guide the users recommended interaction path like traffic lights in a street navigation case would.

If the user chooses to pick yes/green/confirm, the UI widget should turn into a download progress bar with a "hide" button with icon and text on it, offering "dismiss to panel" as hint.

Can do any of this for Maverick? Even if we ship the update manager but

allow updating from the software center id be happy.

+1