Re: Updating UI issues

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 15:30, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I have a bone to pick with the update system in Ubuntu. It hasnt changed
> since I started using Ubuntu (Gutsy).

except for some minor bugs and the popup thing, yeah.

> For one I dont think we should get asked our password to check for
> updates. (Thats a big one for me).

+1
yeah, it will still ask for the password upon updating, i think that would
only be nearly relevant, if it is the first update after a fresh install, or
the first sync, since that one is data-intensive and might consume too many
MB on a pay-by-MB mobile broadband connection.

> The second thing is can we put the updates in the software center
> instead?

thank you.

 I know its complex to implement but having a separate program

with only 3 buttons is a waste.

i would prefer a synthesis of these statements:
Put updates into the software center, turn the popup window into an even
simpler smaller alert window with brief information and unambiguous
interactivity:

There are *46 updates* available, among those *12 security updates*; 24.3 MB
to be fetched, should i update?
*[yes, update now]*  *[no, check again later]*
*
*
in general, colors should guide the users recommended interaction path like
traffic lights in a street navigation case would.

If the user chooses to pick yes/green/confirm, the UI widget should turn
into a download progress bar with a "hide" button with icon and text on it,
offering "dismiss to panel" as hint.

Can do any of this for Maverick? Even if we ship the update manager but
> allow updating from the software center id be happy.

+1