From: Lance <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Fw: Re: Rethink the noninteractive Live CD default boot?
To: "Mark Shuttleworth" <mark.shuttleworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: michael.forrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 11:01 AM

Something I failed to mention here is the matter of the "time-out" allowed for the user to press any key to display the language selector and boot options. I wonder if Michael Forrest or someone can tell me what the actual length of that time is?

Gosh, it seems quick. Like even a momentary distraction can cause me to miss the opportunity even if I know that I need to press any key. I'm guessing 3 to 5 seconds?

Just for fun I refreshed my memory by booting a Karmic CD and you of course get a 30 second timer displaying so you can think, "uh .......... what was I doing" ;^/

Then I booted a Lucid CD and hit a key to display the boot options and there is no timeout displayed, so I assume it would sit there forever?

So, while I originally thought increasing that "timeout" would be a bad idea, maybe I was wrong? What do you
 think?

Should the "timeout" be at least 10 seconds? Or longer? Or is my perception of time simply poor?

It's quite possible that it's "just me", I'm old and legally blind, but it would be good to know what the actual "timeout" is.

Maybe just increasing that timeout slightly and improving the appearance of the "emblems" (with or without adding text in English) would be a simple and viable solution?

Please consider this just "thinking out loud". I'd hardly suggest that my ideas are the "best" ideas :^)

On a more personal note, I'd love to create a persistent Lucid Live USB with a shared data partition for recovery operations (I'm currently still using Jaunty due to VIA Xorg issues with Karmic), but it's inconvenient to miss the opportunity to edit boot options. Therefore I'm considering using an Lubuntu image and adding Nautilus, gedit, etc. because Lubuntu still uses the old behavior, but I'd miss Gnome :^(

---