From: Lance <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Ayatana] Is this the worst (or most ignored) Ubuntu bug ever?
To: "ayatana" <ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: mark.shuttleworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, May 31, 2010, 3:19 PM

In order to cut to the chase look here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/576724

There are many internal links there to explore!

The problem is simple! At some point towards the end of the Lucid development cycle we changed from offering just "drive MBR's" for grub install points to "ALL DEVICES", yet we said:

"The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu allows you to select which devices .....................................", and  then:

"If  .............. unsure .............. install to all of them". Some fairly good screenshots linked to here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/576724/comments/15

This behavior has been catastrophic for noobs and anyone not paying close attention!

I was bold enough to subscribe Colin Watson
 here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/576724/comments/17

I would not "step outside of the ilnes" if I didn't feel I'd otherwise exhausted all other options. But, IMHO, this is a distro killer!

If there ever was a bug that deserved a lot of attention this is it!