Re: Fwd: Open Letter: The issues with client-side-window-decorations

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 14:39:40 -0500
Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 23:31 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > So I think it's worth continuing the conversation.  I'm personally quite
> > concerned that we are about to have a permanent split between GTK/Gnome and
> > Qt/KDE on this topic that will make future work on desktop consistency much
> > more difficult.
>
> Why couldn't Qt support themes that specify the window title as well?
> There's already work on keeping the theming across toolkits, it seems
> like this just extends it.  I don't see this as creating a larger gap as
> before to get consistency you need to make a GTK, Qt, KWin, Compiz and
> Metacity theme (they pull from each other, but you need to check them
> all) and now you just have to make a larger GTK and Qt theme.
>
> 		--Ted

There were other issues as well, such as closing/forcing hanging applications
to quit using the "x" button, and minimizing applications that are still
currently hung while waiting for them to un-hang themselves. These two use
cases would no longer be possible with CSD, as mentioned in the open letter.

And as the letter mentioned, CSD doesn't appear to bring much (any?) pros
despite all the obvious cons highlighted, yet we're going the CSD route.
Couldn't we have more information about this? All I've seen so far are posts
refuting some of the cons highlighted, but none highlighting the possible
benefits CSD can bring. I'm sure that if we have good reasons for implementing
CSD, it would calm the concerns many seem to have about CSD.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin