Re: Farewell to the notification area

On 04/25/2010 04:04 PM, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 19:28 -0300, Paulo J. S. Silva wrote:
>> I do believe that the best balance would be to prompt the user in
>> specific moments (log-out, before suspend/lock) with a dialog that has
>> as default option to apply the updates. The tricky part here is that
>> many people are just leaving their computer on all the time and they
>> are not there when the computer sleeps or lock screen to confirm the
>> update.
>>
>> Actually I got a proposal: present the update dialog at
>> log-out/automatic suspend/lock-screen. The user can ignore (for
>> example if he/she is not there). If the user ignores it for more than
>> a certain amount of time (for example a week) present a notification
>> at login/awake/unlock that the system will apply the security update
>> at next log-out/etc (or that the user can apply it right away if
>> he/she wants).
>>

> I think this is sure-fire way to make sure the updates _never_ get
> installed. On laptops, when people want to turn off or suspend, they
> want it to do so immediately, not after 10 minutes of security updates.
> I'm pretty sure the success rate of this type of prompt would be even
> lower than the blinking notification area.

Yet other operating systems have found it useful to have a "shutdown
after updates install" feature, which is functionally the same.  Perhaps
there is some merit in simply doing both - pop under update manager, and
prompt them again when they shut down if they closed update manager.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie