Re: Farewell to the notification area

2010/6/16 Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx>

> > Plus, with this mockup, you need an inidicator icon/menu for each
> > class of application that might put things in the notification area?
>
> No. Just for the corner cases that cannot use libappindicator and
> never will, like Wine and Java. Are there any other besides those
> two?

Well, any closed but not replaceable application that can't or won't adapt,
as well as any open application that has yet to be fixed. The latter should
hopefully disappear over time (but how much time?), the former also goes
into the "never will "category for the purpose of this discussion at least.
Some software in use may not even have developers or even code any more.

I think the way forward is to fix all apps that are possible, via bug
reports and patches, and replace the rest with good alternatives over time.

I don't think the way forward is to sabotage a user experience because they
need (or even want to) use applications which can not yet be replaced, or at
least yet have to receive a patch.

I think that easy ways to conform and pointing out the benefit of belonging
should be enough "pressure" to adapt without actively breaking applications,
and probably just about as fast.

/ K