Re: Windicators

On 17 June 2010 15:58, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roth Robert wrote on 03/05/10 13:22:
> > Starting a new topic to discuss the suggestions, comments, ideas
> > regarding the windicators
> > <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/333> Mark blogged about.
>
> With help from Ted Gould of the DX team, I have now (mostly) finished a
> specification for windicators, with a few examples.
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana/Windicators>

Hmm... here is a quote from Mark in an earlier thread that I started:

"For designing indicators, ask yourself:

 - what is the *status* I am conveying, and
 - what options are there to manipulate that status?

If you don't have both, especially the status, don't use an indicator.
Use a menu."

So... what's the "status" for the Gimp and F-spot mockups? Scale and tags
don't seem to fit at all with the original Windicator idea. In fact the only
one that seems to fit the status argument is the Firefox one, but you can't
manipulate the status so it shouldn't be a Windicator

Luke.