Re: Lock Screen / Guest Session / Switch From / Log Out / Suspend / Hibernate / Shut Down

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM, David Hamm <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sorry for spam, forgot the lock icon above. (lock) (sus) (res) (shut)
>
> Arno Gourdol<http://arno.org/blog/2006/11/design-of-mac-os-x-shutdown-feature.html>,
> Mac OS X developer: “I actually think that the result could have been even
> better than what we ended up with. I argued against including Restart, Shut
> Down and Sleep in the Apple menu.”
>

> wouldn't it be funny to just have lock switch, and log out
> pow / restart /sus in the login screen.

Two steps to shutdown would kind of be a pain in the ass, restart wouldn't
be so bad in just gdm except when a restart is needed like after a kernel
update. The only problem I can see with this is the expectation of there
being a restart button, but if it appeared when a restart is needed I don't
think that many people would notice.

I definitely like the idea of removing suspend/hibernate. These are things
that can be done implicitly on action. Most people I know only suspend when
they close their laptop lid anyway. I don't think I've ever clicked the
suspend button except maybe accidentally. My mom and brother also just close
the lid and expect the computer to sleep.

Any easy fix to remedy part of the situation would be to remove the Guest
session button and move that into the 'Switch from' window.

--
-- Alex Launi