Re: Me Menu - Review

thx MPT, "your attention to detail is appreciated" :D

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:14, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Frederik Nnaji wrote on 22/05/10 14:37:
> >
> > Allow me to comment on the current state of the Me Menu:
> > * face - name
> >   i click this and it takes me to "About Me", which would be a perfect
> > place for all the configuration links that are currently eating up
> > useful UI space on the bottom of the Me Menu
>
> Interesting idea.

yes, and it remains interesting with the advent of the new account setup
dialog[1]:
we might want to consider if we want to

* afford available social communication services in account setup dialog
-> in Ubuntu these would include:
*   facebook*
*   google* selectable subservices: Talk (IM), Buzz (broadcast), Mail
*   s <http://identi.ca>tatus.net*
*   twitter*
**   ... (whatever the installed messaging menu apps afford)

loving the new avatar picker as in the proposed account wizard [2] ..

> > * presence settings
> >   available, away, busy, invisible, offline
> >   now we could work on the wording here.. offline is ambiguous for
> > example, perhaps call that one "sign out" or "disable chat" or
> > something..
> >  BRING THE COLORS BACK! we need some Traffic Light colors here! red is
> > busy or DnD, green is online. This is very important IMO and keeps the
> > user well informed, no need to go all monochrome on these, unless chat
> > is disabled.

> "Me menu and Empathy menu IM status icons are inconsistent"
> <http://launchpad.net/bugs/538114>

yeah, thanks ;)
like stated above, we need Traffic Light Scheme colors for presence status
in the MeMenu, unless [user] is not signed in to any IM service:
* use meaningful color scheme to indicate presence status

the current layout is not helping me with IM, it confuses me:
[image: menu_001_S8pWlB.png]

Something else i would like to bring forward again:
"offline" is ambiguous.
Remains the question whether or not to
* add an ON/OFF button like in NetworkSettings [3], labelled "Chat"

presence statuses:
there are three useful presence settings i can think of:
* present (available)
* away (not available, not present)
* busy (do not disturb)

i see no reason to include "invisible".
One could keep that option hidden in gconf or somewhere else.
I envision three rectangular Traffic Light bulbs, side by side as
buttons/indicators in the MeMenu:
Green, Yellow, Red

I also see no reason to continue duplicating information back and forth
between Contact List and MeMenu, just pick one place for presence status and
leave it there. I'm all for MeMenu. Contact List neither deserves to house
presence status setting/manipulation, nor a title bar. In fact, Contact List
should be a part of the MeMenu, perhaps with a limited number of entries and
contact pinning enabled, as in Cardapio. Thank you ;)

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UserAccountDialog
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Screenshot-Photo-Gallery.png
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkSettings ( mockup
here<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Networking?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=network-menu-simple-sabdfl.jpg>)