Re: Me Menu - Review

Hi James,

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 01:02, James Putt <putt.james@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > * presence settings
> >  available, away, busy, invisible, offline
> >  now we could work on the wording here.. offline is ambiguous for
> > example, perhaps call that one "sign out" or "disable chat" or
> > something..
> >  BRING THE COLORS BACK! we need some Traffic Light colors here! red is
> > busy or DnD, green is online. This is very important IMO and keeps the
> > user well informed, no need to go all monochrome on these, unless chat
> > is disabled.
>
> Making the "offline" string more explicitly related to chat would be a
> great tweak. Colour in the icons would be nice but I don't think this
> would be reflected in the indicator heading, which means having an
> extra layer of understanding to match symbolic to colour-dependent
> icons?

I think we have a clear semantic map for red, green and yellow concerning
the user's presence status.
Approaching the goal of designing a system wide DoNotDisturb mode, this only
adds to it. Symbols are nice, shapes convey a lot, this is something we want
to use color for!

IM active or inactive is better represented with an on/off switch, i suggest
redesign the Me Menu more confidently, instead of duplicating the design
errors from Contact List.