Re: Updating UI issues

Shane Fagan wrote on 20/06/10 09:47:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 03:13 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> #1 priority: Fix the update settings interface so it matches reality.
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#settings>
>
> This one is easy enough id say ill have a patch asap.

Brilliant.

>> #2: Replace the "Running on battery" alert with dynamic text in the
>> main window. <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#alert>
>
> Could you give me a better idea of how to display this? I think I
> understand you but could you draw up a quick mockup of where you want
> the text on the dialog?

    : :                                                      : :
    | | (list of updates)                                    | |
    | |______________________________________________________| |
    | \|/ 13.4 MB will be downloaded.                          |
    |  _                                                       |
    | (() It's safer to connect to AC power before installing. | < here
    | ( Settings… )      ( Remind Me Later ) (( Install Now )) |
    |__________________________________________________________|

>> #3: Collapse the list of updates by default.
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#alert>
>
> Easy enough but what about the details of the update? Some people like
> to look at the changelog, should I just leave that out or find some way
> to leave it in?

At the moment I think the changelog of the selected update should be in
a pane that has zero height by default, with a splitter to enlarge the
pane. You can see the splitter at the bottom of the list in
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#expanded>.

I'm open to other ideas, though this would be a whole lot easier to
discuss if changelogs were human-readable.

>> #4: Morph the main window into the installation progress window. (I
>> haven't specified that part yet, but I will if you give me a few days
>> notice.)

I've sketched the basics of this now.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#Installing>

Thanks