Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

Hi all,

Here's this week's bug bear of mine:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6311/as7ob3.png

Can we make that any less user friendly? We present the user a dialog, which
no matter which option they choose leaves them with behaviour they don't
want. Choose "Delete" and you lose your applet permanently, choose "Don't
Delete" and you lose it until the panel is reloaded. Either way this isn't
how we should be dealing with panel applet load errors.

This dialog turns up in a couple of situations, specifically:

1. You've uninstalled the applet program from the system, but not removed it
from the panel
2. The applet has failed to load due to some error

Now, 1. really should be detectable. If I've uninstalled Tomboy, and the
Tomboy applet is still in my configuration, Gnome should either ignore the
configuration entry totally, or silently delete it from the configuration.

2. happens. And 90% of the time, a killall gnome-panel gets it working
again. Surely Gnome panel should attempt to reload it again at least once
before producing the delete/don't delete ultimatum? If it really won't load,
we should have a slightly better dialog box with a "Report this bug" type
feature (how exactly do you report an applet bug?)

Thoughts?

Luke.

Follow ups