Re: Export/Import idea for Windicators

Hi David ;)

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:47, David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Frederik Nnaji
> <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 14:26, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> For designing indicators, ask yourself:
> >>
> >>  - what is the *status* I am conveying, and
> >>  - what options are there to manipulate that status?
> >>
> >> If you don't have both, especially the status, don't use an indicator.
> >> Use a menu.
> >
> > this hammers down heavier than a 30page spec.
> > Thanks for the clarification once again, SABDFL ;)
> >
> >> In this case, what you are describing is really just part of the File
> >> menu. So leave it there.
> >
> > To be precise, Send-to, as David Siegel would probably say, please be
> > unforgiving if am i completely wrong David?! ;)
> > We mentioned open-with in connection with GNOME Do (ingenious) and FAYT
> > already...
> >
> > I'd like me a FAYT Send-to.. dialog in Nautilus' right-click menu.
> Copy-to
> > and Move-to don't consistenly offer all Places yet, which is also a
> shame..
> > i see only Home and Desktop..
> > How about moving a file to another person? Why does it always have to be
> IP,
> > URI, folder or host?
>
> Sounds interesting :)
>
> It would be good to discuss how we could incorporate a "protocol
> independent contact list" into Unity, using the same interactions
> expressed i the Applications and Files places.
>
> David

if you look at http://vimeo.com/11987397 you will see "People" on the top
right as a search filter in Sezen.
AFAIK you are familiar with the outlines of SeiLo's work.. so here's the
point:
"People" aka "Contacts" are a real category after which we want data to be
organized and presented to us, they deserve to have a "Place", too, as you
already suggest, just like Sounds, Videos, Images, Documents, and Ubuntu
One. Do you have a spec that describes on how many entries Ubuntu will have
under Places in future releases?

as i have been trying to raise, libfolks [1] is underway, it will enable
metacontacts in free software. That will be our starting point for the
efficient design of a "Contacts" place, i would say.

I'm personally looking forward to the advent of a proper contact management
framework for my FLOSS desktop..
Thanks a lot for your foresight and sharing your valuable thoughts ;)

[1] http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Folks