Re: Broadcasting from Me Menu: thoughts after some time using it

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:08, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/06/10 15:36, Conscious User wrote:
> > After some time actually using the Me Menu in Lucid, though, one
> > thing is bothering me with respect to the specification itself:
> > the lack of any kind of feedback in case the broadcasting went
> > well. The specification states that notification bubble should
> > be only sent if some error has occurred.
> >
> > I thought it would be just a matter of getting used to it, but
> > after a long time that didn't happen: I just *had* to open
> > Gwibber after posting something in order to make sure it was
> > there and have peace of mind.
> >
> > Can someone shed a light on the *exact* reasoning behind the
> > *total* absence of feedback? I'd suggest sending a notification
> > bubble if the broadcasting was successful as well.
> >
> > That said, however, he Me Menu is already very convenient now,
> > thanks to polishing such as automatically focusing the text
> > bar, allowing me to just click on the indicator and start
> > typing. With a little more polish, it can be quite awesome
> > in this age of constant microblogging.
> >

> We can (and should) provide a spinny in the indicator icon itself during
> the transmit phase, and use a green or red flash (like the one you get
> during ajaxy updates in Launchpad) to indicate success or failure.

That would be great.
Still i miss the custom status for IM alongside the MeMenu's presence
settings.. where is it? Available, Away, Busy, even Invisible are there, but
no custom text status.. i like the idea of easy access to microblogging
whether i have my clothes on when i come out of the shower or not, but i'd
prefer to put the blogging use case where blogging is handled, and not so
ambiguously close to IM presence settings.