Sound indicator position indicator and scope

Hi!

I am a little concerned about the position indicator in Maverick's sound
indicator at the moment. The part that bothers me is it produces a lot
of noise to communicate something that really doesn't strike me as very
important.

Borrowing Mark's screenshot…

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/soundmenu.png

That position indicator has stuff going on on both sides and the number
of the left side is continually ticking. It contributes to that music
player element looking big, bulky and disjointed.

To me, that begs the question: how often do ordinary people do this? Is
all the noise necessary, or is this the sort of once-a-month operation a
person can be expected to open Rhythmbox to do?

In my own circle of friends, it's a pretty unusual operation. Music is
designed to be listened to in order, and historically that has been the
only way of doing it.

I'm probably forgetting somebody, so maybe a chat would help :)

Dylan

Follow ups