Semantic Metaphors

Metaphors are vehicles that convey the meaning of an object or phenomenon by
evoking associative thinking.
In simpler words:
Metaphors help you understand stuff better.

Here some different types of metaphors:
* visual metaphors
* rethorical figures
* auditive metaphors (e.g. incoming message sound in IM apps)
* systematic metaphors aka conceptual metaphors  (e.g. in Actor, Stakeholder
etc in UML)

As you have probably noticed by now, language itself is based on
metaphorism.
Associating a word with an object in itself already is not solid fact, but
metaphor.
"Tree" for example stands for a shape, as much as it stands for a plant.
Plant stands for an even harder to grasp concept, hard to grasp itself is
also a metaphor.
"Communicology" by Vilém Flusser addresses these topics in an exhaustive
way..

How about developing a systematic metaphor³ for each interaction object we
add to a UI during design?
* What is the systematic metaphor for "minimize"?
* how would one define a systematic metaphor for "full screen mode"?
* what is the semantic significance of the cancel button in a webbrowser?

i could go on with this for days i bet, since many of the controls and
interaction objects we use do not sit upon a proper semantic foundation
yet..

please share your ideas!

¹ http://tango.freedesktop.org/Icon_Metaphors
² http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/347