Re: Messaging menu - telepathy-indicator

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 22:54 -0400, Ken VanDine wrote:
>  * Should notifications be handled by empathy or telepathy-indicator?
>    - If empathy isn't running, but you are logged on with
>      mission-control-5, you will get indicators for new chats but no
>      notifications. Perhaps we should honor notification settings from
>      empathy, and if using the messaging menu suppress notifications
>      from empathy and display notifications via telepathy-indicator.

I think that you have to handle the notifications specifically for the
case where Empathy isn't running.  Also, in theory, there could be other
telepathy consumers other than Empathy.  If we handled all the
notification in the telepathy-indicator, then those could also plug in
seamlessly.

>  * telepathy-glib doesn't provide an API for PendingMessages and
>    PendingMessagesRemoved. These are needed to hide the indicator event
>    if the chat was focused without activating it from the messaging
>    menu. We also need to add an indicator when new messages arrive in an
>    existing chat, that isn't focused. As a work around we could connect
>    the signals directly over DBus, but I haven't investigated that yet.

Seems like it'd be easier to patch telepathy-glib than connect directly
to the DBus signals, eh?  It seems like if it's in the DBus interface
the patch would be welcome.

		--Ted