Re: [Usability] The Future of Window Borders, Menu Bars, and More

 On 11/08/10 10:14, Allan Caeg wrote:
> I just noticed that Firefox 4.0 beta 2 on Windows also has a menu bar
> <http://imagebin.org/109099> (activated by alt) and its contents are
> different from the Firefox button <http://imagebin.org/109100>'s (some
> stuff are in both menus, though). Apparently, the Firefox button isn't
> a menu bar replacement.
>
> You might also be interested in a fresh mockup of the Firefox button
> ( http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/firefoxButtonTwoPanes.png
> <http://people.mozilla.com/%7Efaaborg/files/firefox4Mockups/firefoxButtonTwoPanes.png> ).
>

> Right now, I can't think of any recommendation to accommodate these.
> Heeelp. LOL

Me neither :-(

For a while, I thought a windicator would work, but I can't think of a
relevant status that covers the use cases of the menu.... other than a
"tools" icon, which isn't status at all.

Functionally, I think a windicator would work just fine (it's a menu on
the window decoration, just what the doctor ordered). But it would
really be messing with the concept, and likely to lead to all sorts of
abuse if encouraged.

However, in 10.10 Netbook Edition, with Unity, we're already making
menus much less visible by hiding them under the window title in the
panel unless invoked with mouse or Alt. That's for the maximised browser
window case, which is I think the one where the user is most concerned
with pixel efficiency.

How about if we start with that?

Mark