Re: Unity's "desktop"

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On 08/08/10 20:49, Apoorva Sharma wrote:
> > I like all these ideas, but why not do what KDE4 did, and present a
> > desktop of files, a zeitgeist timeline, etc. as widgets, so you could
> > have access to files and useful information?
>
> I do think a gadget story is interesting. There's no really compelling
> framework out there today, though. Google's implementations have a lot
> of rendering and usability problems, and the gadgets are not attractive.
> Yahoo's is closed source. The others are marginal.

I was thinking more on the lines of desktop implementations, not web
implemtation, like KDE4's Plasma.

Am I missing a good candidate?

I don't think you forgot to mention any specific candidate, but is it
possible to create an implementation ourselves? It wouldn't need so many
gadgets, just a clock, file view, and notes should be enough to start.
However, if we had a good framework for developing more, I'm sure more will
follow.

Also, something like this could possibly work:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/plasmadashboard-equivalent-coming-to.html