Re: Restart Required

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 22:30, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not all users have the same level of experience.  That's unavoidable.

that's good, diversity is an asset, not a staller.

> In general (not always, but in general) more experienced users will be more
> like to use more command line tools in their regular use of the system.  As
> result, I think it's a safe assumption that the typical command line user
> knows more about the system than one would consider normal for GUI based
> tools.

Yep, makes sense to me..

> More experienced users tend to find excessive warnings about things that
> are
> generally well understood to be off-putting.Adding them as Ubuntu specific
> changes reinforces the notion that Ubuntu is only for beginners and not for
> people who know what they are doing.  We don't want that.
>
> So feel free to put all the training wheels you think are needed in the
> GUI,
> but don't extend the same concepts to the command line.

I understand your position and i agree with most of it, too.
While we surely share the same opinion on much of what has been discussed
here, i am developing a mental model of how there can be a learnable,
consistent and semantically correct symmetry between command line interface
and graphical user interface..

The foundation of my unborn brainchild is that a dialog is a dialog, whether
in a GUI or in the CLI.. perhaps i'm going too far with my thinking