Re: unity and notifications

Sorry I wasn't around for the initial discussion :)

Yes it does fade, but is still there. For me, it is still difficult to
work with an app below this faded notification, eg.

1) In Gimp I am working heavily with layers, creating new iterations of
a scene at a workrate of about 1 second per scene. A notification pops
up and obscures the list at the top of the Gimp layers dialogue
sufficiently to make it unusable. I now have to wait about 5 seconds for
it to go away. My point is that a x (close) button would dismiss this
intrusion to my focussed work immediately - or - moving the notification
to a position I can accept will give me the best of both worlds.
re-arranging my gimp dialogues should not have to be an option.

2) I get a new mail notification. I have 5 different mailboxes. Firstly,
I have to click on the green envelope to get to Evolution. This takes me
a default list of all my accounts where I have to mine down through the
list to get to my new mail. I think it would be great if I click on the
notification it takes me directly to Evolution with the mailbox in which
my new message has arrived already selected.

3) A torrent has just finished downloading and a notification pops up. I
can't do anything with the notification - I have to mine down through a
link somewhere else on the system to get to Transmission. I want to just
click on the notification and Transmission automatically pops up.

To give credit where it is due - another popular and invasive OS does it
very well, albeit the notification is usually about installing some
nefarious piece of software update, and thus annoying by virtue of it's
purpose.