Re: media vs apps

Personally, if I were to click on a button labeled 'Photos and Videos', I
would expect to find those files there rather than editors, etc.

That said, if I were to click on a button labeled 'Music', I would expect to
find my music player there, because when interacting with my music files, I
prefer to do so with the abstraction provided by a media player. That also
said, I don't do a lot of work with pictures and videos, so I don't know
what someone that did would prefer.

I am however inclined to assume they would prefer to interact with those
files through an abstraction layer thrown up by their editor/manager of
choice, since programs like Nautilus are designed to be a general purpose
manager with no predisposition toward any particular media type. Programs
like Banshee, iTunes and Zune provide an experience that is designed around
multimedia content and so I would argue that if the apps (yes, I shall be
using that word to describe applications from now on :P) found in the
'Photos and Videos' section were well designed, I see no reason to think
that the app is being placed above the content, rather I'd see it as a
synergy of the two.

As for the problem at hand, I think having the user access their files
through the editors/managers is a better experience than directly accessing
the files since these editors will both display the files and present the
user with options geared toward managing those particular media types. In my
opinion, if the media app is designed well enough, like the three mentioned
above, then I don't see any reason for accessing the files directly, at
least in the users day to day management of said files. With Banshee, I only
ever have to directly access my music files for reasons of OCD :P