Re: Desktop Silent Mode

Hi SABDFL,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 09:48, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22/09/10 11:37, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > we can save ourselves a lot of annoyance by introducing Silent Mode
> > finally.
> > Synonyms for this use case have been "DoNotDisturb", Busy mode or
> > NotAvailable to name most of them.
> >
> > The high level concept of Silent Mode active during a Desktop session
> > is that the user has a simple way of enabling an disturbance-free
> > experience in order to be able to focus on an important task, work,
> > project, conversation, movie, audio or what have you.
> >
> > Has anyone started speccing this out already?
>
> I don't believe so. If you would like to do a spec, either work with MPT
> or I'll review it with you until it gets approval and then it can be
> queued for 11.10. This is LOOOONG overdue, and I appreciate your offer
> of help.

This has probably been lying around for so long, because of design conflicts
with how the Ayatana subsystem is currently wired.
* Presence has no local effect
* Presence has no effect on Skype (except with Pidgin running)
   -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-me/+bug/684678
* System Sounds are not connected with notifications (perhaps with Dylan's
patch?)
   -> Dylan, what's the status/bug ;) ?

I decided to focus on these issues first, to think my way through these
problems, before i plot yet another meaningless feature.
Busy aka DoNotDisturb has been around for as long as i know Presence in IM,
now is the time to implement it for the local system.
I would like to discuss the above problems in order to get some opinions,
before i am confident that i can draft a simple spec for "Silent Mode" aka
"Do Not Disturb" aka Presence="Busy".

OTOH, if the ideas we have produced in recent threads suffice in your eyes,
i'd gladly sum them up and formalize them in a Spec draft!

other issues in the same domain:
* Invisible doesn't really work - it jumps to busy always
* the Session Menu is on the wrong side of the panel (imo)