Consolidated Keyboard Indicator (or: Polyglots need love, too)

Ubuntu needs a consolidated keyboard indicator, one that allows users to
change keyboard layouts and keyboard input methods all in one place. Check
out the attached image to see what a disaster the current setup is.

In my panel I have not one but two keyboard indicators (as an aside I should
mention that the layout indicator doesn't match the theme, wastes too much
space on my little netbook and is, well, just ugly). Since I write in
English, French, and Chinese, I need to switch between different keyboard
layouts AND input methods on a regular basis. Which is why I need both
indicators in my panel. If they were
combined into one super-indicator(!) I would be very happy.

Multi-lingual users are always left behind in interface design. Usually,
things work very well in one language, but if you need to use two or three
simultaneously, that's when things go wonky!

Marc Lajoie