Re: Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

"""
Why in the world does the *user* need to constantly maximize/restore?
Apps need to open the windows with the right size.
And any app which requires the user to constantly resize is broken.
"""

Maximize does have a lot of very nice use cases, as it can help a user focus
on the task they're trying to complete. I want to work in my web browser,
and I don't want to have to think about other things.

It's tied to why resizing a window is an important feature as well. It
allows me to have control over my workflow, and I can set up a sort of
ratio. I want 50% of my work directed towards my browser, 25% towards
monitoring my social networks with gwibber, and 25% towards watching my
contacts for someone I want to chat with. And, I can set them up how I want,
not how the system thinks I want them. Computers aren't good at guessing
what users want; any Microsoft convert can tell you that.

This case is simple, but it should serve to demonstrate the basic idea.
Could the automatic sizing be implemented? Sure. Is it a good idea? Why not?
But the user should be able to change the size of the window after they've
started it, either because their preference at that moment differed from the
system's guesses, or because the focus of their work has changed, and they
want a different setup.