Re: Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

One possible option is to split the desktop into 9 sections (rule of thirds)
and use combinations of those sections as the only size options available.

This would allow easy modulation of existing windows and would be largely
backward-compatible with existing software. Browser windows usually already
take up an area that would be about a 4 block square when we use them on a
typical desktop. GIMP could even rotate one palette to horizontal and fit
the canvas into the upper 4x4 square and the palettes into the 3x1 and 1x2
spaces left over

Or you could have the option to split one box into 9 boxes if needed,
providing 81 possible boxes. This would allow GIMP to remain in its current
default window config.

Resizing isn't dead, it is definitely useful, we just want to drastically
reduce the amount of time we spend doing it. Modularized window sizes and
positions would limit your choices drastically, and make choosing a window
size and position no longer a time-wasting task as well as be visually more
pleasing, based on an already known rule of composition.