Re: Awesome critical review of Unity

On 15 April 2011 16:25, Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You are missing my point, with Empathy focused, try closing the
>> maximized window. There is the problem, the maximized window should
>> have it's controls in it's titlebar like it normally does, like every
>> other window does, but it doesn't.
>
> Bu the panel is dynamic. The title/menu contents of the panel only relate to
> the focused window.

Yes, I get that.

Both of my non-tech-savvy parents figured this out very
> quickly, and they like the behavior. They did have issue with the
> application name in the panel (Which is an understandable issue), but they
> were still very able to function.

They are obviously brighter than me then, because I've been using
Unity on my desktop for a week now and I'm still trying to close
windows that don't have a close button. Is that panel part of the
maximized window or not? If it's not then why does it look like it is?
If it is, then why does its content reflect another window? Why do I
have think about which window I currently have focused to work out
whether a close button will be in the panel or not?

The thing is, if the panel consistently showed the window controls,
title and menu only depending on the focused window, I could
understand that. It would still be confusing (because the panel forms
the titlebar of the maximized window and it would look like the
controls would close that) but it would at least be consistent.

Luke.