Re: Dynamic menu items

hey Mitja,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Mitja Pagon <mitja.pagon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nicely put,  to extend on you example, the problem Microsoft faced were not
> pull down menus themselves, it was rather the fact that Office applications
> acquired so much functionality, that pull down menus were no longer an
> optimal way to expose that functionality.

Ok point taken I agree that in some cases it wouldn't be all that
useful but for some programs it would be very useful. And remember
that one of the first things they say in most design books is 80% of
an application's use is in 20% of its functionality and thats what
this idea was spawned from.

> This "trend" against application menus is based on generalized assumptions
> based on isolated examples of applications with "alternative" menus, mostly
> chrome and firefox (ironically both have application menus in OSX AFAIK) and
> it seems, as you mentioned, like making a change for the sake of change.

To repeat what I said to Kevin this list is about concepts to improve
and smooth out stuff. Try not to knock out ideas just because they are
far fetched just put your counter argument and let people make up
their minds. I wasn't saying anything against application menus
themselves I was just putting out an idea to improve upon them. I
don't believe in the whole change for changes sake thing at all but if
it aint broke don't fix it doesnt mean you cant think about making it
better.

--fagan