Re: Dynamic menu items

"Just because you don't think its a problem and its
fine the way it is"

That's not what he means. :)

He means that you should start a design by clearly identifying what you are
improving- a so-called "problem statement".

Problem statements might be things like:
"Bob frequently uses the save, print and open items in the menu, but he is
often frustrated trying to find them among all the other options."
"Jenny receives and sends a lot of email, and struggles to remember how her
new emails relate to her previous correspondence."

Identifying the thing your tackling makes sure that you aren't just making
"improvements" that no-one wants or needs.  It can also shed light on
alternative answers- another idea for solving Bob's problem might be to
declutter the menus of whatever application he's struggling with, to
organise them in a clearer way, or to expose commonly used options elsewhere
in the UI.