Re: Ideas for Unity based on the recent Canonical Design blog post

On 22 April 2011 20:04, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To be honest, I don't find the System Settings window useful. It lists
> almost fifty different subcategories in only a couple of major groups,
> and while the search tool is handy, it's not smart: searching for
> "wallpaper" or "background" lists no results because the Appearance
> dialogue doesn't use those words in its name.

The gnome-control-center redesign in Gnome 3 and therefore what will
be in Ubuntu 11.10 is much more user-friendly and searchable. For the
record, it currently has 17 links in 3 major categories (Personal,
Hardware, and System) and searching for wallpaper or background works.

It works so well, Gnome Shell hides all the old-style
System>Preferences and System>Applications links from their
application launcher. I agree with this and don't think we need to
have search results for every aspect of System Settings in the Unity
dash, especially as the Unity dash launcher shipped in 11.04 doesn't
have search optimized. By optimized, I mean search works, but it's not
smart yet. (Try searching for office.)

Because the System Settings link is impossible to miss in the Session
menu which all users will have to use to log off, I don't think
discoverability is an issue, especially not with the much-improved
System Settings app.

Jeremy Bicha