Re: Ideas for Unity based on the recent Canonical Design blog post

For me it would be more intuitive, less cluttered, et al, if the dock had a "system" lens, a "favorite applications" lens, and a "current open windows" lens (adjacent to, or combined with, the workspaces lens) ...and then dispensed with the paradigm of instead placing individual launchers for /n/ applications on the dock. For applications I interact with less frequently, I would then go to the applications lens, and for what I use most often I would go to the favorite apps lens (much like I do with the Mint Menu applet right now -- the Linux Mint devs have a much simpler and more usable concept here IMHO).

Take the above on its own merits.

Now that you've taken the above on its own merits, consider the following ...

This would also make room for migrating "system tray" sort of stuff to the instead and getting rid of the top panel entirely, and putting window controls, window titles, and menu bars back into the application windows where they are far more intuitive and usable at any state of window resizing / positioning.