Re: Remember window positions

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Vishnoo <vish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 21:19 +0200, Ed Lin wrote:
>>>Secondly, it's broken. Opening another window of the same
>>>class/role/whatever shouldn't put it exactly on top of the other one
>>>but cascaded so both titlebars are visible. See KDE, Windows and OS X
>>>for a correct implementation.

I have to correct this statement. KWin does not seem to correctly
implement the remember position feature.
I clearly remember I somehow triggered the desired behavior but I can
no longer reproduce in KDE 4.6

Therefore to anyone interested in closing this longstanding issue (and
as a tl;dr for my previous post):

Please have a look at the implementation in OS X and/or Windows. Their
window managers are the only ones having this feature by default and
fully transparent to the user. Their implementations have been tested
and used over decades now  - and they are surprisingly similar... I
wouldn't deviate from them without serious long term usability
testing.