Desktop widgets?

Hello ayatana

Love using unity, really clean and straightforward. It opens up lot of
possibilities. Obvious one, to me at least, is opportunity to
include/integrate a gadget/widget desktop thingy. They can be useful,
pretty and are present in those two major "modern" desktops.

I would suggest using best that free software has to offer now and it's
plasma desktop that is part of KDE. I now it   sounds a bit... hm,
strange :)  but it already, without any major modification or terminal
mojo works great, is very actively developed and already knows great
tricks. Just find plasma-desktop package, install with deps and launch.
Proof:

http://db.tt/UpITUqC

(this is on unity2d without compositing on a 4 year old comp)

Besides widgets, plasma desktop is far more capable for pretty much
everything when compared to nautilus one. It can have icons or widgets
or icons+widgets :) It can shuffle wallpapers, post it notes and all
kinds of sys monitors and stuff,  it can even set interactive globe as
desktop back.. Some of these not so useful, some very, very handy. And,
as far as I know, it's fairly simple to write your own widgets, not that
you need to.

Sorry for my engrish, not a native speaker and spell check can be abused
to a limit :)

Any thoughts?
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by