Re: Thoughts on Unity design

The equation doesn’t break down here because you’re not supposed to put in
∞. Although the edge may theoretically be infinitely long, it’s not in
practice. Any human being aiming at the edge will stop within a certain
distance past the edge. That means that, effectively, *W* is a certain fixed
quantity, which can be determined through testing and seeing how far users
actually travel past the edge. Jef
Raskin<http://books.google.com/books?id=D39vjmLfO3kC&pg=PA94>,
for example, found that *W* was 50 mm for the Macintosh. Using these
methods, Fitts’ Law will get you more accurate results. You can also figure
out how great *D* must be for global menus not to be faster any more (hint:
probably much larger<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3494680#post3494680>than
your typical large monitor).