Re: Unity Mockup v3

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Adrian Maier <syraxes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My feeling is that the goal of developing a universally good desktop
> environment for all kinds of screens (including touch) is too bold and
> ignores the principle  "use the right tool for the job".  Screen size
> matters a lot  ;   a user interface optimized for netbook is unlikely
> to be suitable on a desktop.  And viceversa.    The only solution is
> to allow the users to tweak the interface.

How about this:

- Make Unity configurable enough so that it can be a great interface for
small touchscreens, netbooks, and full-grown monitors

- Save these configuration changes as profiles ("Touchscreen",
"Netbook/Laptop", "Desktop")

- Upon first run, have Unity detect the screen resolution and pointing
devices (if any), and pick the right profile for that.

--G