Usability testing as a show case of non-techies can contribute to Ubuntu

Hi there,

The community around Ubuntu in Aarhus, Denmark, has been invited to a
technology conference in late August. The theme of the conference is
user driven innovation and learning from your own mistakes. The audience
at the conference will be both techies and non-techies, though mostly
the non-techies. We have accepted the invitation and we will be at the
conference two days.

Our aim at the conference is twofold. First, we would like to present
Ubuntu to a wider audience. Second, we would like to show how users can
take part in making Ubuntu better in order to fit into the bigger theme
of user driven innovation. We have thought about ways to combine the two
and have come up with the idea of doing usability testing of Natty
Narwhal. Usability testing introduces people to Ubuntu and at the same
time gives information on how to make Ubuntu better. Our point of
departure is the usability test report from April on natty, the early
test of Unity and the usability test of Thunderbird. We are thinking
about doing short usability studies like  "install X program", "post an
update on Facebook" or "find Y file using a lens". The tests have to be
shorter than the ones in aforementioned test because we can't keep the
participants for too long.

In order to make the results we get from the usability results as valid
as possible we would like some input from on three issues. First, do any
of you have programs or features that you would like us to test? If you
do we would be happy to do so. Please keep in mind that the participants
are non-techies. Second, what kind of background information should we
get on the participants? I am thinking age, primary OS, experience using
their OS, how many hours they spend using a computer every day etc.
Third how should we conduct the test to ensure valid results? Would
desktop recorder or observation do or should we try to get a camera on a
tripod?

Please let me know if you have ideas on what we could do or who we could
contact.

Thanks,
Søren
--